Thursday, November 22, 2007

Respect

This is my third blog entry on martial arts, and more importantly my third attempt at informing the martial arts community on a problematic matter. This time the subject is respect; and more specifically respect for others and their art.
I've had some experience in this field, especially when I was first hunting around for a decent class 4 years ago when I was first starting out. I had been to see numerous classes which included branches of Kung Fu, Karate, Muay Thai and even Jeet Kune Do. Most of the senseis/sifus were welcoming, informative and very knowledgeable within their own art; both on the technique and philosophical meanings of the art. However, this is where my problem starts; and where I first realised that not everyone is as disciplined as they make out.
The first class I visited was a Kung Fu class. I had phoned the sifu ahead of the class just to make sure I wouldn't have been imposing on the lesson if I just turned up to watch. He explained to me that taking part would probably be the best way to establish if I liked it or not. Although very grateful of his offer; I was not about to commit myself to the first class I saw. To be honest, my being there and watching the classes was more for observing how the sifu/sensei taught the art, rather than the art itself.
So, I turned up to the class, and watched the sifu for the first half hour get the class underway. The usual warm ups, stretches, formalised kicks/punches/blocks and combos ensued. After the sifu initiated the students into free form sparring and the like, he came over to where I was sitting and started to ask me what I thought. This was great I thought; the sifu is talking to me personally and asking ME questions! However, after about 15 minutes of conversation; I realised that this sifu was dead against anything that wasn't Kung Fu. Now of course he will be in favour of it, (He's spent the last 25+ years practicing it!!) but his views on other arts were derogatory to say the least.
This continued to happen throughout my quest to find the class I felt comfortable in, until I came into contact with someone from a Karate club that had started just 3 months earlier. Now I haven't mentioned any names so far, but I am proud to be a member of this club, so will name it as UK Karate Kai. I promptly became a member and went eagerly to my first class along with a friend who had been on a similar search as myself.
Although younger than all of the other instructors I had previously spoken to, sensei Mick Golden seemed more tolerant; and more honest about the other arts...and the art of Karate.
So, as the weeks passed and I grew more confident, it was time for me and my friend's first grading, to 8th kyu. The grading went well, I remembered all of my techniques and passed the kata exam. Straight after our class there was a Tae Kwon Do class in the same room, so we all left quietly and appropriately; bowing to our sensei, each other and finally the dojo itself. However, during our formal exit, the Tae Kwon Do practitioners had started to pour into the room, led by their instructor. As I passed a TKD student, he uttered ''Get out, Karate is s*** anyway''. Not only did this annoy me greatly at the time; it also confirmed my beliefs that a lot of students who claim to practice martial arts do not understand the fundamental principles on which the arts are based. I am not attempting to put down any art in particular here; I am just recognising my own experiences and sharing them.
I believe that one of the most important lessons in martial arts, (and certainly something that should be instilled into a student at the start) is respect for others AND other arts. Afterall, the martial arts community already has too many misinformed disrespectful people outside, so let's not add to the problem and quarrel within; we are all Martial brothers and sisters: sticking together is the only way in which we can advance our understanding of the martial arts.

Thanks for reading

No comments: