Thursday, November 22, 2007

Blackbelt at 12

This is my fourth entry into the 'martial arts matters' blog; and is entitled 'Blackbelt at 12'.

''Ok, so what is this all about?'' I hear you ask. Well, after having read over my other entries once again; I have realised that there is another major issue surrounding a lot of martial arts clubs: student's interpretation on ''what it really means to be a black belt.''
Even though I am not a black belt myself; I have realised that the friends I have that are, do not understand why they are. Now, put simply this means that they had either gained their black belt at an early age, or they simply went through their classes after school for a couple of years and recieved the coveted belt. I am not demeaning any of their efforts; of course it takes a lot of will and effort to grade even up to 5th kyu, let alone 1st kyu and beyond. What I am suggesting however, is the lack of understanding when a student does recieve a higher rank.
With every belt I recieve, I understand what is expected of me both physically and mentally during the grading, but also the maturity and self discipline that it grants me outside of the dojo.
What I am suggesting is controversial, and probably not the best if you attend the kind of dojo that likes to earn money. I am suggesting that there be an age limit on recieving the black belt. The way I see it, a child that joins a club at the age of 6 has not got the mental capacity or maturity (no matter how mature they may seem) by age 11 to fully understand what it means to be representing your club as a black belt. Of course, discipline is also an issue these days, as kids like to have fun when they are together. The argument that goes against this then is ''why should someone practice for 10 years (from age 6) to get a black belt when a more senior person only has to practice for an average of 5 years?'' Well, in answer to this, I put forward the argument that children are given their belts (for the most part) for confidence buliding rather than a pat on the back for the accuracy and skill within the technique. This causes the problem of building a generation of students with black belts that have simply turned up for their classes and recieved their rank through attending.
Maybe I am wrong in thinking this, but these are my own opinions that I have formulated over years of observation, rather than 1 or 2 instances. In this age, political correctness and 'equal opportunities' are things that people tend to avoid talking about; but this is something I feel strongly about.
I am not suggesting an age limit on joining the martial arts, but I am not in favour of anyone recieving a rank such as this when they do not understand what such a significant milestone means.
Of course, it is not just children who don't fully understand what it means to become an advanced practitioner. I know plenty of black belt adults, and see so many of them in the leisure centre where I work to know that the black belt is merely a confirmation of their own egos.

So, with every rank you recieve (all the way to black belt, and beyond), recognise the maturity and discipline that is required of you to maintain what it means to be a true martial artist.

No comments: